Chair Project

July 24, 2013 at 4:30 pm (Projects) (, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , )

Hi there!  Recently I found an old, scuffy, beat up antique oak chair at a garage sale.  $5 later and I had another project to start in on.  Before:

Image

The oak finished was pretty spotted and scratched and the leather seat was so old that it was rotting.  I started by gently scraping any paint splatters off of the oak.  I also pried the old leather seat and padding off.  I used a stain refresher to touch up the oak stain.  I didn’t think that painting this one would do, and it wasn’t bad enough that it needed to be stripped and completely restained. Fortunately, this method seems to have refreshed the old chair fairly nicely.  It still has a bit of antique charm in the uneven coloring, but I think I like it.   I then cut new batting to make a cushion and then stapled down the cute flower-y print.  I then used black upholstery tacks to add black trimming around the cushion.  Here we go:

Image

Image

Image

I think it turned out very well!  🙂

Permalink 2 Comments