Chair Project

July 24, 2013 at 4:30 pm (Projects) (, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , )

Hi there!  Recently I found an old, scuffy, beat up antique oak chair at a garage sale.  $5 later and I had another project to start in on.  Before:

Image

The oak finished was pretty spotted and scratched and the leather seat was so old that it was rotting.  I started by gently scraping any paint splatters off of the oak.  I also pried the old leather seat and padding off.  I used a stain refresher to touch up the oak stain.  I didn’t think that painting this one would do, and it wasn’t bad enough that it needed to be stripped and completely restained. Fortunately, this method seems to have refreshed the old chair fairly nicely.  It still has a bit of antique charm in the uneven coloring, but I think I like it.   I then cut new batting to make a cushion and then stapled down the cute flower-y print.  I then used black upholstery tacks to add black trimming around the cushion.  Here we go:

Image

Image

Image

I think it turned out very well!  🙂

Permalink 2 Comments

Mom’s Dining Chairs

April 6, 2010 at 6:05 pm (Projects) (, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , )

One of my many recent projects is refinishing my mom’s dining room chairs.  And yes, I am finished with this one!

Mom has gorgeous antique wood dining chairs.  But, the cushions were reupholstered many years ago, and are now raggedy and faded.  So, we bought so printed leather and I set to work.

Here is one chair before:

Out of date and just plain shabby.

And the after:

What an update!

This was super quick and easy… and my first experience with powertools, my new staple gun! 🙂

Permalink Leave a Comment

Bench Project

March 6, 2009 at 10:54 am (Projects) (, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , )

When we first moved into our new house Tony and I bought a vintage vanity on Craigslist for $20 to go in our spare bedroom. The vanity is used to hold all of my “get ready in the morning stuff”. The vanity came with a little vanity bench. The problem was that the bench didn’t match the vanity. The bench was painted white and had obviously been recovered with some purple material. I had thought about painting the vanity a shabby white, but that wouldn’t solve the whole problem. The styles and sizes of the vanity and the bench didn’t even match. So, I put the bench up for sale on Craigslist, again. After a couple of weeks the bench still hadn’t sold. Well, another project for me!

I liked the chipped white paint of the bench, so I decided to keep it. I also decided that there were too many things, including another, smaller vintage vanity seat already in the spare bedroom. I thought that the front porch could use something, so that was to be the new home of the bench. We have a small, white ice cream table and two chairs on the porch, but nothing else so far. The white would be a perfect match. I have also had my eyes peeled for some of those vintage metal lawn chairs. I want two of them in red, or to paint red. That helped me make my choice for fabric. I chose a white material with a red coral pattern.

Last night I started ripping old fabric off the bench. Come to find out there was not only one layer of awful fabric, but three! Here’s the before photo:

blog-pics-bench-redo-002

The next layer. Even worse:

blog-pics-bench-redo-004

And the final dingy layer:

blog-pics-bench-redo-005

But, here’s what it looks like all spruced up:

blog-pics-bench-redo-0072

blog-pics-bench-redo-008

I think its really cute now. I will show you pictures of what it looks like on the porch once I get the ice cream set repainted!

Permalink Leave a Comment